Saturday, April 2, 2016






"DANIA BEACH SEAFOOD & ARTS FESTIVAL", DANIA BEACH

A few days prior to this weekend I received a message from a Talented Local Artist that an Organization needed a few Artists to Live Paint at this annual Seafood Fest.  Like always, I made it happen.  I was completely in the dark about the expectation and subject-matter requirements.  Nearly 20 min before the Live Painting was to begin, the promoter decided to turn this gig into a Street Art-Graf competition!  I am in no way a Street Artist and definitely not a Graf Artist, so this was definitely out of my comfort zone.  They told me it was also 100% spray paint and we had under 3 hours to complete a decent-sized mural for the Dania Beach Skate park ramp.....oh boy, lol!  I've never really used spray paint before, so I knew I was about to learn a little about my capabilities and how well I adapt to discomfort.  I grew up in the Dania Beach area, and wanted to customize a commemoration piece for the Sea Turtle Sanctuary.  So, I sprayed this Sea Turtle Aquatic Design in under an hour.  During the whole process there were spectators and festival crowds voting on their favorite piece.  To my surprise, I won the entire competition and even received a generous ca$h award!  Are you kidding me?  Truly blessed.  Since then, I've been experimenting with spray paint more and more, and been getting pretty decent.  It's a very different medium than airguns, so it's quite challenging.  My respect for the Graf and Street Art crews increased for sure...they are insanely talented!

No comments:

Post a Comment